Catfish - Introduction
Catfish is a versatile file search utility for the Xfce desktop. Powered by Python and GTK, it is fast, flexible, and exceptional at finding files.
- Minimalistic, GTK+3 interface
- Search suggestions, powered by Zeitgeist and locate
- Powerful filtering by date, file type, and more
- Full-text file content search
To enable Zeitgeist (on Debian-based systems), just install the Python Zeitgeist GIR binding and ensure the Zeitgeist datahub is running.
sudo apt install gir1.2-zeitgeist-2.0 zeitgeist
To install the build and runtime requirements on a Debian-based system, the following command is sufficient:
sudo apt install python3 python3-distutils-extra gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 python3-gi-cairo gir1.2-xfconf-0 xfconf python3-pexpect locate
If gir1.2-xfconf-0 cannot be found in your repository, it may be located at the Xubuntu Experimental PPA
From a source repository:
- Unpack the archive.
- Install Catfish:
- To install locally (a user install), run:
python3 setup.py install –user
- To install system-wide (a root install), run:
sudo python3 setup.py install
- For a list of command line options run: