This is an old revision of the document!
Parole Media Player
Parole is a modern simple media player based on the GStreamer framework and written to fit well in the Xfce desktop. It is designed with simplicity, speed and resource usage in mind.
Parole features playback of local media files, including video with subtitles support, Audio CDs, DVDs, and live streams. Parole is also extensible via plugins.
|Parole Media Player main window|
- GTK+ 3.2 or above.
- Glib 2.32 or above.
- Gio 2.28 or above.
- DBus 0.60 or above.
- DBus Glib 0.70 or above.
- GStreamer: base, video, interface and GStreamer X, version 0.10.24 or above.
- libxfce4ui 4.11.0 or above.
- libxfce4util 4.11.0 or above.
The GStreamer framework provides a powerful plugin interface to support a wide variety of media types. The plugins are split into “base”, “good”, “bad”, and “ugly” categories for their varying levels of licensing and codec quality. While Parole is completely free, meaning anyone can use it, redistribute and/or modify it under the GNU general public license; some GStreamer plugins are not free and may not be legal to use in some regions. It is up to you or the distribution to accept the license of these plugins and make them available for use. The list of GStreamer plugins is below.
- GStreamer Base plugins comprises the base functionality of GStreamer and are required for normal operation.
- GStreamer Good plugins comprises a set of high quality plug-ins under the LGPL license.
- GStreamer Bad plugins comprises a set of plug-ins not up-to-par compared to the rest. They might closely approach good-quality plug-ins, but they lack something: perhaps a good code review, some documentation, a set of tests, a real live maintainer, or some actual wide use.
- GStreamer Ugly plugins comprises a set of good-quality plugins that are not free and may have licensing issues. These plugins are typically required for proprietary formats and DVD playback.
- For more information about GStreamer plugins, please see this page.
Parole currently features the following plugins:
- Notify, which shows notifications (using libnotify) for track changes.
- System Tray Icon, which allows minimizing Parole to the system tray where playback can also be controlled.
- MPRIS2, which allows remote control; e.g. by Gnome3's “media player indicator”-extension or Ubuntu's soundmenu.
Read more about them here.