Making a Release
Before you start with this, make sure you understand the release model all developers should follow for core components.
Stable releases are created from the stable branch of the repository. So before you start make sure you are working in this branch.
# get the stable branch git checkout --track -b xfce-4.14 remotes/origin/xfce-4.14 # pull the latest changes git pull --rebase
Now make sure all the bug fixes are committed and pushed to the remote repository. You can check this at gitlab.xfce.org as well.
For the version number the micro version is increased by 1. So 4.12.2 becomes 4.12.3.
Unstable releases are created from the master branch, which is in this period in feature-freeze. There we use an odd minor number. So the first development release is for example 4.15.0, then 4.15.1 etc.
Build the tarball
If you are sure all the fixes are committed in the correct branch, its time to prepare the release.
xfce4-dev-tools from version 4.15.0 contains helpers: xfce-get-release-notes, xfce-get-translations, xfce-update-news to help you to update NEWS and list all translators.
More script can be available on https://github.com/ochosi/xfce-helpers
Update version number
- Edit the configure script template configure.ac.in.
- Set the package version (<package>_version_major, <package>_version_minor and <package>_version_micro) to the version you want to release.
- Remove git from <package>_version_tag.
- Check the build dependencies.
Compile the code
./autogen.sh --enable-gtk-doc make distcheck
If everything is ok distcheck will tell you the
abc.x.y.z.tar.bz2 tarball is ready. If not fix the error(s) and commit the changes before running distcheck again.
If the tarball is build successfully, it is time to tag the release in git.
# make sure there are not pending changes git status # if not, commit them git commit -a -m "Updates for the x.y.z release." && git push # tag the release (annotated tag is required) git tag -a abc.x.y.z # send tag to remote git push --tags
For more information read the git tag manual.
Upload the tarball
- Open https://releases.xfce.org/ in your browser, log in with your Xfce HTTPS credentials.
- Click on
Release New Versionlink next to your project.
- Follow the instructions presented to you by the release manager software to upload the abc.x.y.z.tar.bz2 tarball with the SHA1 checksum you can generate with
sha1sum abc.x.y.z.tar.bz2in a terminal.
- For the announcements, please only pick mailing lists that make sense. Everything should be announced on firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- Please note that you MUST subscribe to the announce mailling list before doing a release. Your first release mail need to be moderated by a list admin.
- Make a nice summary of the new features or just paste the contents of the
- Add the
gitback to ?_version_tag() in the
configure.am.infile, commit and push the change.
- Possibly switch back to the
- Celebrate .